Choose an existing engineering design, tool or process. This must relate to your engineering discipline.
Research a brief history of the chosen engineering design. Write this in your own words and reference the original sources using the Harvard style of referencing."
Describe the form and function using appropriate engineering terminology. Discuss why the current
design was designed the way it was. Comment on aspects relating to the sustainability of the design.
Task 2: Follow a design method to generate ideas
2A) Describe the design method that you carried out to generate lots of ideas.
For example: Brainstorming, Scamper or Mind-mapping.
Briefly discuss why the method is beneficial to engineers when they are solving problems.
2B) Provide detailed evidence of the design method that you have used to think of ideas.
Students should aim for 20+ ideas.
2C) Write a short summary of the design process: What are the top 2 ideas chosen that will be drawn for
Task 3, and why were they shortlisted?
3A) Produce two hand-drawn design improvements (sketches). Each sketch must:
a) Be numbered and have a title
b) Include a typed description above it
c) Include hand written annotations
d) Be presented professionally
3B) Produce two CAD models of the designs using Autodesk Fusion 360.
4A) Use a Concept Selection method to select a final design.
4B) Discuss and summarise the reasons why the idea was chosen.
1. A single report document (Arial 11 point or equivalent, single line spacing, normal margins).
Complete a well-structured short report. Include the following:
2. Reasons for choosing the engineering design, its history, and a critical evaluation (Task 1).
3. Evidence of the design method(s) used to aid the idea generation process (Task 2).
4. A range of drawings (hand drawn and CAD) that are clearly labelled (Task 3).
The drawings must be inserted into the digital copy of the report, and must be clear.
Unclear drawings or screenshots will be marked down.
5. An appropriate concept selection method which determines a final design (Task 4).
Advice: To avoid plagiarism DO NOT copy information from other sources without referencing it